06:24 GMT         Day 4 of 90, Season 51    

Forum

Search

TdF 2019
Andeby

Posted at:
17:45 6/7-2019 GMT

Nobody watching this year ?

Seems like an interesting edition with lots of fresh faces to dominate the races, although Im not even sure which rider im cheering for. I for one cherish Froome's abscense, but I fear we will see a predictable and similar race, only with Thomas/Bernal instead. Seeing guys like Kwia being 100% commited tm is quite sad. Im not gonna hope for injuries and crashes, but bring on the mechanical issues for Ineos!

Andeby

Posted at:
18:00 6/7-2019 GMT

Stage 2: Brussels - Brussels
  An acid fest in fellowship, the team time trial. On paper and by the bookie, Team Ineos are held favourites with strong TT-riders with the likes of Thomas, Castroviejo and Moscon in particular. The other favourite had good day today winning it with their losp. Personally, I am holding Jumbo as favourites with Van Aert, Kruijswijk and T.Martin leading the charge. Questionable how hard Groenewegen was hit today, but it might have an impact on his contribution tomorrow. Mitchelton-Scott, Sunweb and EF Education are the next best candidates according to the bookies. Sunweb odds seems weird considering Dumoulin's abscence. I personally believe EF Edu and M-S will fight over the 3rd place.
paceuts

Posted at:
21:35 6/7-2019 GMT

Don't you think Bahrain-Merida have a shot at top 3 too? Rohan Dennis will obviously carry but if Caruso, Nibali, Tratnik, Teuns ride well I think they could go well.

P.S. Anyone doing Fantasy TdF this year?
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
10:57 16/7-2019 GMT

Seeing only 3 comments in this thread I begin to doubt I'm on website for cycling enthusiasts. :) I thought it would be buzzing here. Or is everybody waiting for the mountain stages?
Andeby

Posted at:
11:01 16/7-2019 GMT

Nah, ppl are just talking about it in different forums. It was never rly buzzing about tdf in here, which is kind of a shame. There are several cycling enthusiasts though.
paceuts

Posted at:
16:31 16/7-2019 GMT

I don't use other forums... perhaps I should.

Thoughts on first week? Who do you guys have as the favourite now?
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
22:08 16/7-2019 GMT

Especially the last stage was interesting. Many guys lost a lot of time unexpectedly. Bennett is done definitely. Bardet had one bad day, and is losing a lot - maybe too much. Ineos seems to be very strong, they have two guys as an option. But I don't know what to expect from others, we'll still have to wait for the real mountains. Other jerseys are still "in progress", but if Sagan has no crash or something, he is going for the green jersey record, which I as a Slovak fan find fantastic. :)
Andeby

Posted at:
23:01 16/7-2019 GMT

Crosswind stages are amazing. But i found myself kind of frustrated yesterday with Ineos’ strong team. Just like previous seasons with sky, their roster and budget are so superior, that its always the same other teams in trouble. Even tho Quintana shockingly managed to stay out of it. Regardless, i think it was a good stage for the gc competition considering Quintana now seems an obvious #1 and the same with Kruijswijk. Mostly sad for Pinot.

Green isnt rly a competition with Sagan. Bernal will win the youth yersey with ease. Polka up for grabs, but wouldnt be surprised to see Alaphillipe taking another go at it. Barguil, Nibali other possible contenders. Landa if he is given the opportunity.

As for gc, i held GT as a strong favourite for the yellow. And he remains the same, if not stronger favourite by now.
paceuts

Posted at:
23:09 16/7-2019 GMT

Agreed with you two. I think Geraint is the clear favourite right now; not too sue what all the noise about this being an open Tour is, especially with the show of dominance from Ineos in the mountains still to come. Movistar is the only team left with the mountains firepower to take them on (Astana's been shaky at best), but their Tour tactics are notoriously underwhelming.

I'm curious about Martin and Mas, both have been consistent so far and could surprise I think. Whether Alaphillipe tries to hold on for a GC placing might determine KOM.
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
08:39 18/7-2019 GMT

How can a rider (C.E.) who is 165 cm tall have such power in his legs? :)
Schiavi di Don
Administrator

Posted at:
11:03 19/7-2019 GMT

He has developed a sprinting style that is close to over the limit dangerous, but it is also a lot more aerodynamic than all the others. So this is where he gets his advantage, just like Cav did.
  And of course he still has pretty impressive legs. :p

I love the Tour so far, only been 2-3 'boring' stages. Ineos should win, which is a shame, but nothing is decided yet.
  Apart from yesterdays stage, I think the tour did a very good job designing the stages. Not really any made to be boring sprint stages, that's a nice change from previous years.

-----------------------------

OCM Awards Chairman/Admin

'When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.'
  Proverbs 29:2
Andeby

Posted at:
11:48 19/7-2019 GMT

Yup, i agree. A nicely designed tour. Although i wish the finish on stage 6 were later in the tour. Usually its just long tough climbs, but this was truly steep with 20%+. But so early in the tour, everyone rode safely. Would be nice for a chance to see such a different stage be a bit more decisive.
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
18:28 19/7-2019 GMT

Julian!!! I'm so happy we had the opportunity to see such rider in Slovakia last year! What an effort!
Andeby

Posted at:
18:57 19/7-2019 GMT

Aggressive and offensive cycling, loving it for sure. Shame we are robbed of Kwia who could probably dominate the tour on similar terms.
Schiavi di Don
Administrator

Posted at:
06:58 22/7-2019 GMT

Hopefully the Alpes will see the same complete lack of dominance by Ineos. Lovely to see some actual racing like yesterday. Also slightly relieved that Alaphillipe showed signs of being human.

-----------------------------

OCM Awards Chairman/Admin

'When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.'
  Proverbs 29:2
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
12:18 22/7-2019 GMT

I was hoping he can be serious contender in GC, but yesterday I went through the remaining stages, and my God! :) Especially the last climb of the last mountain stage - there is 33 km climb with 5%......... I'm losing words here.
Andeby

Posted at:
13:13 22/7-2019 GMT

That last climb is why GT still has a shot. Stage looks great for Gt and kruijswijk. But at that point i guess it comes down to whose got the legs.
6feet

Posted at:
16:08 22/7-2019 GMT

I follow the tour with great interest. And i love reading forums about cycling. But not active myself. And i love this edition of the tour so far. Its close in the GC, very exciting still. love the way Pinot and Allaphillip raced. As a dutchy i follow the ways of the dutch riders and teams.

TeamQuetzal

Posted at:
20:29 22/7-2019 GMT

I'm praying for alaph to win lmao. It´s been like half a century since a Frenchman has won the tour. And I genuinely don't trust Pinot´s omen of bad luck. Very interesting race, with the GT still open for anyone.

I do miss Froome tho

jhdz
Andeby

Posted at:
20:53 22/7-2019 GMT

Id miss Froome if he was in a different team. Apart from that he is s genuinely boring rider, just like any other sky-rider. Ban watt meters.
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
21:14 22/7-2019 GMT

:D But he was interesting when he rode in yellow with Sagan in green for the victory in a stage. :)
Andeby

Posted at:
21:27 22/7-2019 GMT

One of the 100 something stages he participated in.
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
21:31 22/7-2019 GMT

And when he ran up the hill because he had mechanical? :D But yeah, that´s still 2/100. :) BTW did he get any punishment for that?
TeamQuetzal

Posted at:
22:01 22/7-2019 GMT

Nope. I believe you technically could run to the finish, you just need to cross and start with your bike. But you would be mega slow. I´m probably talking bs rn lol

But I do remember Nairo held to a motorcycle in that stage and he had like 10 seconds decreased or sum.

And Donald, I have to disagree on this one. I believe Froome is one of the riders with the most initiative in the peloton. 2018 Giro to brick magnolia home? Or that ax3 stage where he was out here attacking on a descent doing his crazy Sagan motion while peddling

also also also, attacking without getting out of the saddle and just crushing the GC group in ventoux 2013. Was entertaining for me. He was annoying when he did not wait for wiggo tho lmao, but ting was mad funny for me

jhdz

Last edit by TeamQuetzal at 11:14 23/7-2019.

Andeby

Posted at:
22:36 22/7-2019 GMT

The giro is way different. Although it is a grand tour, its nothing like tour de france in importance, also reflected by the support in teammates which is ALWAYS nothing short of exceptional in sky/ineos. And that tdf-stage ur mentioning is the exact same stage pierre is talking about, which is rightly so, a stage where he did surprise. But that is just 1 simple stage. Surprising but really at what risk ?

Mont ventoux was impressive not unlike other mountain finisheds, but he was riding this one defensively as well. He was just stronger and more durable than Quintana and the rest thus winning. He rode steadily all the way until he knew he wouldnt burst like a bubble and won it in the end. Quintana was the one attacking and the one showing initiative here.

Nairo holding the motorbike was a bullshit move and should have been penalized even more. I remember feeling sorry for Mollema in this particular stage with the finish being neutralized by several gc riders even though Mollema rightfully should have won seconds on that stage.

Last edit by Andeby at 22:37 22/7-2019.

TeamQuetzal

Posted at:
16:55 26/7-2019 GMT

What

The

Fuck
Andeby

Posted at:
16:56 26/7-2019 GMT

Indeed
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
17:27 26/7-2019 GMT

What a boring stage, haha!
TeamQuetzal

Posted at:
17:43 26/7-2019 GMT

I´d say crazy

And I'm so pissed lmao, Pinot quits and Alaphilipe lost yellow. I'm so angryyyyy

jhdz
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
18:46 26/7-2019 GMT

Man, when I saw Pinot quit... A grown man broken like that... What a tragedy. You want something, but you see how it vanishes right in front of your eyes, and there's nothing you can do about it. Devastating.
Goege Team

Posted at:
21:36 26/7-2019 GMT

And tomorrows stage shortened to only 60 kilometers ...

Bernal has Christmas, Birthday and Easter on the same day!
TeamQuetzal

Posted at:
01:26 27/7-2019 GMT

Well Colombia got what they deserved in a TdF winner. Such a shame that Nairo wasn't the guy

Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
07:56 27/7-2019 GMT

At least they kept that 33 km climb, so we'll see "a sprint of climbers", I guess. :)
TeamQuetzal

Posted at:
18:22 27/7-2019 GMT

Congratulations to Egan.

Next year should be fun

JHDZ
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
18:50 27/7-2019 GMT

Is this the beginning of Bernal era? What do you think?

Last edit by Lokomotíva Zvolen at 18:51 27/7-2019.

TeamQuetzal

Posted at:
19:14 27/7-2019 GMT

I think ext year Geraint will go for the Giro and Froome/Bernal will try Tdf/Vuelta

But if Bernal stays in Sky he can very well win at least three of all GTs. And I am interested if Alaphilipe will start training more for mountain seeing that he was so good this tour. Very interesting sights for the foreseable future

jhdz
Andeby

Posted at:
19:31 27/7-2019 GMT

Bernal a definite worthy winner. A truly exceptional GT-talent. And unlike jhdz, im not so sad that Nairo never won. Nairo is just a light really good climber on the long climbs. He is bad at everything else.

He is actually the perfect Sky-tm.

Anyways. Super-snorr with 2x ineos on top in an otherwise very nice tour. Very few boring stages.

As for Alaphilippe, i think it will be harder for him in the future. Other gc teams will be more vary. But in lighter editions, he could definetely be up there again.
Team Extra Clean TUE

Posted at:
15:41 28/7-2019 GMT

It was a great race, though I feel super sorry for Pinot. Betrayed by his body yet again! I feel that Pinot would have presented a great challenge for Bernal. Alaphilippe, as much as I like him, was never going to bring it home. He is just not consistent enough as a climber to endure severeal mountain stages in sequence. If anything, it surprised me that he did as well as he did.

Bernal has outstanding potential as a Grand Tour champion. No doubt!

Poor French fans ..... have to wait for a native winner of the TDF once again.

Last edit by Team Extra Clean TUE at 15:41 28/7-2019.

nonnies

Posted at:
21:43 28/7-2019 GMT

Interesting times...

Wonder what will happen at Ineos...

Bernal,Geoghegan Hart Tao, Thomas, Froome (hope he recovers), Carapaz (rumored), Svivakov...

Reminds me of the old Postal days in terms of depth (lets forget about the other stuff for a moment)

And then maybe Alaphilipe becomes a gc guy...
Lokomotíva Zvolen

Posted at:
22:40 28/7-2019 GMT

As someone from Slovakia I'm very relieved that Peter finished without any problem, and secured that 7th green jersey. I'm absolutely proud of him, he is our hero, and in an interview with Slovak reporter, when he was asked about his not very successful spring performances, he said that you always have to take things in life with a smile. Well, he did, and he has got the green jersey once again. Fantastic. :)
  BTW Caleb absolutely crushed everybody in last 100m. Unbelievable acceleration.
Team Extra Clean TUE

Posted at:
23:15 28/7-2019 GMT

Ewan is an interesting sprinter. Small like a climber but as thig legged as any sprinter. If he just becomes more consistent, he will be the man to beat for the green jersey.

That is something, that Sagan is great at. Consistency. When there is a bunch sprint going down, he makes sure to be among the top five guys. He doesn't need to win many stages. He is always racking up points.

It was a good Tour for Bora-Hansgrohe, all things considered. Sagan bests Zabel and Buchmann is finding his own groove. He may become one to watch as well.
TeamQuetzal

Posted at:
04:43 29/7-2019 GMT

@Pierre

I remember Alexandre Pasteur (the French commentator) said that that out of 130 starts Sagan was in the top 5 in 60 something races. Which is fucking crazy. I agree with Fidel, never seen someone so consistent.

@aain

I believe they will go for a Froome/Bernal combination in the Tour, as Froomey the goat could get his 5th and 8th GC and well...Bernal looks like a future great of cycling, hopefully he does not turn out as a bust. As for Thomas I think he will be put in for the Giro GC. And Tao looks like a bust so far. But who knows. And I do hope Alaph trains for GC as he was very strong the first weeks.

@Fidel

Don´t depress meeee. We've been thirsty for 40 years dawg lmao. And Ewan is definitely interesting. Cavendish type of motion. I remember seeing him in PCm 16 or 15 and thinking he was the next big thing (Gaviria too) And welcome to the game mate!

JHDZ